When the UIGEA Law was enacted in 2006, its purpose was to ban internet gambling. Although it will go into effect on June 1 of this year, there have been many banks in the US that have been confused by the ambiguity of its tenets. Thus, some banks have declined the use of credit cards in some states. This left US players with the task of finding alternative methods to fund their casino accounts. One viable alternative is using debit cards. But as with every type of card, there are pros and cons.
- Debit cards are the perfect solution to fund online casino accounts where accepted.
- A debit card can be linked to a checking account, for example, in which funds used are withdrawn from said account. Unlike credit cards that charge very high interest rates, with debit cards you are basically withdrawing money from your own account. In addition, there is little chance you can incur high amounts of debt because you are limited by the amount of money in your bank account.
- The best type of debit card is one that can be applied for through your bank.
- A debit card is also ideal for individuals who, through bankruptcy or other financial crises, need to begin building their credit standing. By applying for a debit card with a credit card company, for example, a small credit line would be established and if you pay on time and do not go over the limit imposed, you can easily obtain a credit card within one year.
- Debit cards can only be used at online casinos that accept this method of payment.
- Due to the fact that the debit card is linked to one’s checking or savings account, it is important to ensure you do not spend more than you have in your account.
- There may be a fee incurred when using debit cards.
- There is the likely chance that banks will charge you if you overextend the use of debit cards. For example, let’s assume you apply for a debit card for $500. It is important that you consistently keep that amount in check and not go over as banks may decline a transaction and charge overdraft fees.
- Debit cards do not have provide the same protection as prepaid cards or credit cards. If a debit card is lost or stolen, your account could easily be wiped out.